There are lots of different materials you can choose for your new garage door, even the lesser-seen glass garage doors. But, the two most commonly used materials are wood and metal. Typically, either aluminum or steel are used in metal garage doors, and various types of wood can be used, such as plywood or cedar.
If you’re in the market for a new garage door, this article will help you decide whether you should go for wood or metal.
The benefits of metal garage doors
- Highly durable – Metal garage doors, especially steel ones, are extremely tough and can stand the test of time. It is difficult to scratch or dent metal doors, and they are not sensitive to the elements like wood doors, which can warp due to moisture and expand in the heat.
- Lower cost – With average prices of $740-$1,140 installed, metal garage doors are generally the cheaper option compared to wood doors.
- Low maintenance – Unlike wood doors, metal doors don’t need sealing, sanding, and refinishing. In general, metal doors are much easier to maintain, which could mean you save money on garage door maintenance in the long-run.
The benefits of wood garage doors
- Better insulation – Wood is a much better insulator compared to metal. This means that the inside of your garage will stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter without you having to run AC or heating inside. As well as saving you money on energy bills, this could also mean you don’t have to spend extra to insulate your garage and garage door.
- A luxurious aesthetic – Most people consider wood to add more of a luxury appeal to the front of their home, compared to metal. It can also be matched to other elements of your home like the front door or window frames, creating a cohesive, elegant look.
- Adds curb appeal – With better aesthetics also comes improved curb appeal. If you’re looking to sell your home, then installing a new wood door could raise interest in your home and perhaps even add to its value.
Whichever you choose, Carolina Garage Door can help you choose the perfect garage door and install it at your home or business. Get in touch for our installation services or for a garage door tune-up around Winston Salem, Greensboro, Kernersville, and High Point.